An infant less than 28 days of age is called neonate or newborn. During neonatal period, rapid physiological changes and many critical events can occur. Some ‘neonates’ who are born prematurely (born before 37 completed weeks of gestation), or babies who require resuscitation at birth, babies having respiratory distress, or babies with heart failure or other health issues; or those in whom birth defects may be noticed, need extra medical care and special support. These babies are then admitted to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
At Surya, we understand the special needs of these babies and provide them best medical care from our neonatal and paediatric super-specialists as well as support from the best of technology. Combining the best of experts and technology, Surya’s NICU Unit has been largely successful in achieving higher survival rates and lowest complication rates that are comparable with the best in the world. Our unit has successfully looked after premature baby as premature as 23 weeks and as small as 460 grams. The survival rate for extremely premature infant at Surya is one of the best in country.
At Mumbai, our 105 bedded Level III state-of-the-art NICU is India’s largest NICU and is equipped with technologically advanced equipment. It is monitored 24x7 by experienced neonatologists and intensive care specialists. Similarly, our Pune and other facilities have super-specialists and are well equipped as per Surya standards.
Trusted by patients and professionals for more than 32 years, we have catered to a large set of population and received referrals from all over the city and across the country. We have set a benchmark in ensuring survival of extremely premature babies and have established the credentials of saving the smallest and sickest babies in India.
Surya’s NICU unit is equipped with latest advancement in biomedical and healthcare technology, and boasts of the following facilities:
- 24x7 dedicated “Neonatal Lifeline Ambulance” that is equipped with Globe Trotter transport ventilator and attended by Neonatologists / Pediatricians and support staff.
- State of the art recently built tertiary care NICU with Hepa-filters, Central AC, Central Oxygen/Air/Suction
- Round the clock in house qualified Neonatologists with expertise and experience
- Various types of ventilators with conventional an advanced modes
- High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV): innovative ventilation modes which operates at very fast rates as high as 1200 breaths/min
- Inhaled nitric oxide therapy, first unit in India to have this facility. It is a regional referral centre for all neonates with severe PPHN for inhaled nitric oxide therapy
- CPAP and HHHFNC respiratory support system
- Surfactant Therapy
- Imported servo controlled warmers, incubators, single and double surface phototherapy, LED phototherapy
- Total parenteral nutrition
- Exchange transfusion
- Management of surgical problems in newborn
- Pathology facilities: Auto analyzer, ABG machine with electrolytes and ionic calcium, Dry chemistry analyzer
- Portable X-ray
- Portable: USG, Doppler, Echocardiography, EEG,
- Portable OAE- Hearing Screening
- Newborn Metabolic Screening
- Newborn and Pediatric Postgraduate teaching institute accredited and recognized by National Board of Examinations, New Delhi and Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS)