An infant less than 28 days of age is called neonate or newborn. During neonatal period, rapid physiological changes and many critical events can occur. Some ‘neonates’ who are born prematurely (born before 37 completed weeks of gestation), or babies who require resuscitation at birth, babies having respiratory distress, or babies with heart failure or other health issues; or those in whom birth defects may be noticed, need extra medical care and special support. These babies are then admitted to Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
At Surya, we understand the special needs of these babies and provide them best medical care from our neonatal and pediatric super-specialists as well as support from the best of technology. Combining the best of experts and technology, Surya’s NICU Unit has been largely successful in achieving higher survival rates and lowest complication rates that are comparable with the best in the world. Our unit has successfully looked after premature baby as premature as 23 weeks and as small as 460 grams. The survival rate for extremely premature infant at Surya is one of the best in country.
At Mumbai, our 65 bedded Level III state-of-the-art NICU is India’s largest NICU and is equipped with technologically advanced equipment. It is monitored 24x7 by experienced neonatologists and intensive care specialists. Similarly, our Pune and other facilities have super-specialists and are well equipped as per Surya standards.
Trusted by patients and professionals for more than 32 years, we have catered to a large set of population and received referrals from all over the city and across the country. We have set a benchmark in ensuring survival of extremely premature babies and have established the credentials of saving the smallest and sickest babies in India.
Surya’s NICU unit is equipped with latest advancement in biomedical and healthcare technology, and boasts of the following facilities:
- 24x7 dedicated “Neonatal Lifeline Ambulance” that is equipped with Globe Trotter transport ventilator and attended by Neonatologists / Pediatricians and support staff.
- State of the art recently built tertiary care NICU with Hepa-filters, Central AC, Central Oxygen/Air/Suction
- Round the clock in house qualified Neonatologists with expertise and experience
- Various types of ventilators with conventional an advanced modes
- High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV): innovative ventilation modes which operates at very fast rates as high as 1200 breaths/min
- Inhaled nitric oxide therapy, first unit in India to have this facility. It is a regional referral centre for all neonates with severe PPHN for inhaled nitric oxide therapy
- CPAP and HHHFNC respiratory support system
- Surfactant Therapy
- Imported servo controlled warmers, incubators, single and double surface phototherapy, LED phototherapy
- Total parenteral nutrition
- Exchange transfusion
- Management of surgical problems in newborn
- Pathology facilities: Auto analyzer, ABG machine with electrolytes and ionic calcium, Dry chemistry analyzer
- Portable X-ray
- Portable: USG, Doppler, Echocardiography, EEG,
- Portable OAE- Hearing Screening
- Newborn Metabolic Screening
- Newborn and Pediatric Postgraduate teaching institute accredited and recognized by National Board of Examinations, New Delhi and Maharashtra University of Health Sciences (MUHS)
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at Surya Hospital is a multidisciplinary unit that provides care for infants, children and teenagers who become critically ill or injured. A team of highly trained, skilled and experienced round-the-clock doctors who specialise in intensive care ensure optimum care and management for these children. These intensivists have received their training at the best centres in India as well as abroad. They bring with them the knowledge and skill-sets that are critical to the best outcomes in these sick children. To compliment them, is a team of trained nurses and post graduate residents manning the unit 24*7, as well as the best of medical equipment and ensuring the extension of care down to every second of the day.
The PICU designates the highest level of medical care. It differs from other parts of the hospital, like the general medical floors, in that the PICU allows intensive medical & nursing care as well as continuous monitoring of health parameters like heart rate, breathing, and blood pressure. Equipped with such advanced technology, our multidisciplinary PICU team improves survival, speeds recovery, minimizes disability and relieves pain and suffering in a caring and respectful manner.
No wonder that over the past 3 decades, parents have developed explicit faith and trust in our PICU as an advanced tertiary set-up capable of treating the sickest of children.
Conditions treated at PICU:
- Severe infection
- Drug overdose
- Extensive surgery
- Congenital anomalies
- Immunological disorders
Our advanced PICU setup comes equipped with
- High Frequency Ventilator
- flexible Bronchoscope
- Pediatric Haemodialysis equipment
- Inhaled Nitric Oxide
- Multi-modal hi-end ventilators with in-built CO2 sensors
- Touch screen multi parameter monitors-all of which are equipped with CVP, Arterial BP and End-tidal CO2 measurements
- Cardio-defibrillator and 12 lead ECG machine
- Central monitor, hi-tech syringe and infusion pumps
- Remote controlled patient beds capable of providing optimum positioning to minimize morbidity and complications
- Blood set warmers, patient warmer blankets and electronically controlled air mattresses
- The PICU team liaises with a very accomplished team of doctors to ensure a multi-disciplinary approach that leads to much better outcomes
- The unit has a well-equipped retrieval ambulance that transports sick patients from referral centres to the hospital.