The Pediatric Ophthalmology department at Surya Hospitals offers Pediatric Ophthalmology services for children with eyesight disorders to help them get a clear vision. As it is extremely important to detect these visual impairments in kids, we give you access to the best pediatric ophthalmologists in Mumbai and Pune. In particular, vision develops in the brain until about age 9 years and can be affected by eyes that are not straight or do not focus correctly. A child can grow up with a good vision in each eye if these problems are caught early, treated and maintained.
Our team of Pediatric Ophthalmologists have additional training and practice in examining and caring for a child’s eye problem. They have great knowledge of the possible conditions and experience in examining children effectively, making us the best Pediatric Ophthalmology in Mumbai and Pune.
What types of examinations do Pediatric Ophthalmologists provide?
- Vision testing – It takes a particular skill to assess a child’s vision, particularly before the child is in school. Different methods have to be used at different ages. Measuring eye position in all patients who have misaligned eyes (strabismus).
- Examining the eye for abnormal structures, parts of the eye that are not functioning, signs that diseases are affecting the eyes such as genetic conditions, juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, and injuries.
- Examinations of uncooperative, very young children including premature babies.
- Determine what type and strength glasses a child needs at any age, by measuring the focusing ability of the eye (retinoscopy) after drops have made the pupils larger.
What kinds of treatments do Pediatric Ophthalmologists provide?
- Medical treatments
- Amblyopia (undeveloped vision or the vision part of “lazy eye”) including glasses, patching, and dilating drops
- Glasses prescriptions for simple lack of focus such as near-sightedness, astigmatism or farsightedness
- Some fit contact lenses as well
- Infection such as conjunctivitis, corneal ulcers and the tissue around the eye (orbit)
- Inflammation inside the eye (iritis) from arthritis conditions and injuries
- Glaucoma, high pressure in the eye, is treated by some pediatric ophthalmologists
- Eye muscle surgery for misaligned eyes in patients of any age
- Blocked tear ducts
- Cataract surgery in children
- Repair of injuries of the eye
- Some do laser surgery in premature babies, glaucoma surgery, or droopy eyelid surgery (ptosis). This varies with the interest, training, and experience of the pediatric ophthalmologist.